21st CENTURY LEADERSHIP SKILLS IN CHILDREN

Leadership is communicating people’s worth and potential so clearly that they are inspired to see it in themselves. Is that not also an essence of good teaching? ” – Stephen R Covey

How do we build leadership skills at Samsidh MLZS?
We at Samsidh MLZS understand that building leadership skills is critical for the 21st century leaders. We invest in inculcating this skill in the students by exposing them to variety of programs, organizations and opportunities as a part of the curriculum. These inspire them to get involved and grow into the leaders of tomorrow. This in turn will help them to improve their complete personality and compatibility therefore enabling them to secure a respectable position in the world.

This is why we have The Life Skills Program. It is an interactive program to promote personal development by means of narrating stories and realistic situations, which are role-played by the children in a team after discussing the solution with their group. Team games are conducted to observe group participation, communicating ideas, experience difference in opinions, listening skills, empathizing and to realize the potential in each child.

"Aim for success without compromising on character"
Is what we are educating each child in life skill classes.

Do Children Really Need Life Skills to be Future Leaders?

In today's world, where the survival of the fittest is the norm, it has become imperative to sharpen one's technical skills, and more importantly, one's Life Skills.

Technical skills can be learnt, applied and measured to an established degree. But the same cannot be said of Life skills. Life skill is a sociological term for an individual's Emotional Intelligence (EQ). It can be broadly defined as personal attributes that enhance an individual's interactions, job and career prospects.

Whether it involves face to face customer interaction or even indirect correspondence over telephone or e-mail, employees adept at Life skills will achieve both individual as well as organizational success. Hence Life Skills is critical to showcasing one's hard skills; both can be considered to be two sides of the same coin - one without the other has no impact.

How do Life Skills translate into the work situation in the future for our children?

According to Serby Richard (2003) modern corporate requirements are such that they look specifically for those candidates who can add value to their organization with their Life skills and the ability to develop and use Life skills which can make the difference between a job offer and enjoyment of new employment.

This requirement of Life skills in a job has made the competition for job acquisition and job sustainability tougher. All those candidates who wish to get an edge over their competitor are expected to refine their Life skills.

Can schools help by running Life Skills program as a part of curriculum?

For inculcating Life skills in children, they have to be provided with trainings as a part of their curriculum. This in turn will help them to improve their complete personality and compatibility therefore enabling them to secure a respectable position in the corporate world.

Hard skills contribute to only 15% of ones success while remaining 85% is made by Life skill (Watts M and Watts R. K, 2008).

In spite of such great relevance of Life skills in the present corporate world some of the institutions are yet to introduce Life skills in their curriculum. There is a dire need of incorporating Life skills trainings in their curriculum, to ensure commendable placements.
                                                                                                                       
Jayalakshmi- Life Skill Educator at Mount Litera Zee School